Jackosnville Norman Film Studios Old City Cemetery Mount Olive AME Church Hemming Plaza Eartha M.M. White Museum Old Brewster Hospital Edward Waters College J.P. Small Memorial Stadium Ritz Theater & Museum Bethel Baptist Institutional Church Mother Midway A.M.E. Church Mount Zion A.M.E. Church Amelia Island Kingsley Plantation St. Augustine Mandarin School House Durkeeville Museum Old Stanton High School Lift E’ry Voice and Sing Park Clara’s at the Cathedral
Scroll

Tour Jacksonville's African American Heritage Trail

Learn about Jacksonville's rich African American History as part of Florida's African American Heritage Trail.

This self-guided tour experience allows you to explore famous locations and points of interest at your own pace. Guided Tours are also available from:

  • Adlib Luxury Tours & Transportation. Phone: (904) 827-1845
  • Tour Time, Inc. Phone: (904 )282-8500

Scroll down to learn more about the trail!

Email Subscribe Watch Video

Tour 1

Kingsley Plantation

Address: 11676 Palmetto Ave, Jacksonville, FL 32226

Map It

Esther Bartley, born a slave on the plantation, shown living on the grounds in the early 20th centuryJacksonville's oldest residential home and Florida's last still-standing plantation home. Wander through the remarkably preserved slave quarters, barn, plantation house, kitchen house and interpretive garden all located on the waterfront. The plantation was once the southernmost point of the Gullah Geechee Nation.

Anna Madgigine Jai Kingsley: Stolen from the coast of her homeland of Senegal, West Africa, the young Wolof girl, Anta Njaay, was taken to Havana, Cuba in 1806 to be sold into slavery.

Zephaniah Kingsley, Jr., an English slave trader and planter who had been reared in Charleston, South Carolina, purchased 13-year old Anta. Folk legends labeled her as “an African princess.”

Kingsley stated in his will that he and the beautiful Anta were married “in a foreign land” and that their marriage was “celebrated and solemnized by her native African custom, altho’ never celebrated according to the forms of Christian usage.” He called her Anna and her African name was transposed into Spanish and English by officials in Florida. Kingsley would live with her openly and referred to her as his wife. Together they would have four children. According to Daniel Shafer’s book entitled simply Anna Kingsley, “Kingsley was an advocate of humane treatment and encouraged slaves to live in family units and to maintain African customs.” There was never any doubt as to Anna’s status. Kingsley is quoted as having said “She has always been respected as my wife and as such I acknowledge her, nor do I think that her truth, honor, integrity, moral conduct or good sense will lose in comparison with anyone.” After almost five years of enslavement, Kingsley formally emancipated Anna on March 4, 1811.

By 1811 Kingsley was a wealthy man. He owned Drayton Island, a large plantation at Lake George on the St. Johns River, Laurel Grove Plantation along Doctors Lake and Fort George Island. His business travels left Anna at Laurel Grove as household manager. In addition, Kingsley chose to employ black slaves. Kingsley sailed into several ports including Cuba, Puerto Rico, St. Thomas, Wilmington, New York and Fernandina with black sailors and was known for sailing with an all-black crew.

By 1812, Anna was a free black woman in Spanish East Florida. Along with her property holdings, Anna’s household included 12 slaves. When Florida joined theConfederate states in 1861, the interracial Kingsley family was forced to leave for their safety, only to return when peace was restored years later. Anna died in July 1870 at age 77. She spent her last days living in the Strawberry Creek area with her daughter, Mary Kingsley Sammis, and her family. The house built by Anna’s son-in-law, John Sammis, still stands in the Clifton area of South Jacksonville. A small family burial ground is also located there. Although no grave stone with Anna’s name exists, historians speculate that she is buried with her daughter and the Sammis family. In 1884, the great granddaughter of Zephaniah and Anna Kingsley, Mary F. Kingsley Sammis, married Abraham Lincoln Lewis (pg. 22) to form another powerful union in the Kingsley dynasty.

At present time the Kingsley Plantation is a part of the Timucuan Ecological and Historic Preserve. The grounds includes the main house (c.1798), a barn(c.1798), the Anna Jai House (c.1800 – 1820), and the slave quarters (c.1822). The Kingsley Plantation is located at: 11676 Palmetto Avenue, Jacksonville, FL 32226.

Back to the top

Tour 2

Old Brewster Hospital

Address: 843 West Monroe Street in La Villa

Map It

Nurses’ Training SchoolBuilt in 1885 as a private residence, Old Brewster Hospital and Nursing Training School was the first medical facility to serve Jacksonville’s African-American community. Located in the LaVilla neighborhood, the hospital opened in 1901 through the efforts of the Women’s Home Missionary Society of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Matilda Cutting Brewster of Danielson, Connecticut, donated $1,000 in honor of her late husband, the Rev. George A. Brewster, to help start the hospital.

Home and School, a private institution for African-American girls. One of the earliest nursing training programs in Florida, its students were welcomed by the community and made 1,230 house calls in 1901. The hospital soon outgrew its first facility, and relocated to a different part of LaVilla in 1910. By 1931, it was located in a large brick building on North Jefferson Street in the Old Sugar Hill neighborhood. With the passage of the 1964 Civil Rights Act, Brewster Hospital closed in 1966 and reopened in 1967 as the Methodist Hospital. In 2005, the Old Brewster Hospital building was moved to its present location from its original site at 915 West Monroe Street.

Back to the top

Tour 3

The Eartha M.M. White Museum

Address: 613 West Ashley Street Jacksonville, FL 32202

Map It

Eartha M.M. White MuseumBorn in 1876, Eartha M.M. White grew up in the Hansontown area immediately north of downtown. After attending local schools, Eartha M.M. White went on to enroll at Madam Hall’s Beauty Culture School in New York City, as well as the National Conservatory of Music, where she was tutored by Harry T. Burleigh and J. Rosamond Johnson. Returning to Jacksonville, Eartha M.M. White dedicated her life to continuing the humanitarian work started by her mother, Clara White. For years, Clara White had been providing food and assistance to the needy from her own kitchen.

Eartha White continued her mother’s work by organizing the Clara White Mission in 1932. Housed at 611-615 West Ashley Street, the Clara White Mission has indiscriminately assisted Jacksonville’s less fortunate by providing hot meals, clothing, shoes, and temporary shelter for transients and the aged. Over the years, the mission became a major hub of activities in LaVilla, and accommodated numerous community projects and programs including Works Project administration (WPA) sponsored cultural activities, the New Deal’s Federal Writer’s Project, as well as serving as a USO for African American service men during World War II.

As president of the Union Benevolent Association, Eartha M. M. White assisted in the establishment of the first retirement home for Jacksonville’s African American seniors. She later assisted in the establishment of the Milnor Street Nursery, a tuberculosis sanitarium for African Americans, and Oakland Park, the first municipal playground reserved for African American children. In the mid-1940’s, Eartha M. M. White acquired the Moncrief Springs property from the Afro-American Life Insurance Company. Eartha White renovated the spring-fed swimming pool and constructed large bathhouses. The resort was used for numerous special outings organized by Eartha White, as well as the site of religious camp meetings and baptisms. In later years, she donated the Moncrief Springs property for the construction of the Eartha M. M. White Nursing Home.

During her long life, Eartha M.M. White had many careers and businesses. While in New York City, she was a member of the touring Oriental American Opera Company. Eartha White was the first paid employee of the Afro-American Life Insurance Company, and is credited with saving the company’s records during the Great Fire of 1901. In addition to teaching for 16 years, she was also one of the first paid social workers for Duval County and the first African American census taker. Eartha M. M. White was a licensed real estate broker, and at different times operated a department store, laundry, and house cleaning service.

During her long and illustrious career, Eartha M. M. White has received numerous awards and honors including an Honorary Doctor of Law degree from Edward Waters College, a Honorary Doctor of Humanities from Florida Memorial Institute, the Booker T. Washington Symbol of Service Award from the National Business League, the Better Life Award from the American Nursing Home Association, and the prestigious Lane Bryant Volunteer Award presented to her in 1970 by President Richard M. Nixon.

Eartha White transcended the barrier of race and gender through her service to the community and remained a tenacious advocate for the “poor and the halt” until her death in 1974; she was 97.

Back to the top

Tour 4

Norman Film Studios

Address: 6337 Arlington Road

Map It

Norman Film Studios1908-1922

Billed as the “World’s Winter Film Capital,” Jacksonville was home to more than 30 silent film studios from 1908 – 1922. The Eagle Film City, which opened in 1916 in the Arlington community of South Jacksonville, was purchased in 1922 by Richard E. Norman, Sr. The property consists of a production building, generator building, a small cottage for visiting actors, a prop storage building, indoor sound stage, and an outdoor pool for water scenes.

Norman was one of the first independent movie producers to recognize the commercial potential of making films featuring an all-black cast for viewing in African American communities. Although completing several of his productions before moving to Jacksonville, Norman produced eight feature films between 1920 and 1928 including The Green- Eyed Monster (1920), The Crimson Skull (1921), The Bull-Dogger (1921), Regeneration (1923), A Debtor to the Law (1924), The Flying Ace (1926), and The Black Gold (1928). Contrary to most movies made during the silent screen era, Norman’s films were free of racial stereotypes and depicted African Americans in a more positive light. Although only one of Norman’s films, The Flying Ace, is known to exist, the five buildings that formed the studios remain.

Back to the top

Tour 5

J.P. Small Memorial Stadium
A.K.A. Durkee Field

Address: 1701 Myrtle Avenue, Jacksonville, FL 32209

Map It

J.P. Small Memorial Stadium James P. Small Memorial Stadium, A.K.A. Durkee Field, has served as the epicenter of organized baseball in Jacksonville. Located at 1701 Myrtle Ave., the field has hosted spring trainings and exhibition games of the major league teams, as well as home to several minor league teams such as the Jacksonville Tars (Jacksonville Braves) and the Jacksonville Red Caps of the Negro League.

In 1953, the Jacksonville Braves broke the color line of the South Atlantic League by bringing in three African American players. One was 19-year-old, Henry “Hank” Aaron, who played at Durkee Field for one year before being moved to the Milwaukee Braves. Also known at different times as Barrs Field, the Myrtle Avenue Ball Park, Joseph H. Durkee Athletic Field, and currently James P. Small Memorial Stadium, this block of property at the southeast corner of West Eighth Street and North Myrtle Avenue has been the site of organized professional, semi-professional, and amateur baseball since 1911. The current steel and brick grandstand has the same basic appearance as originally designed and constructed in 1935 and as expanded in 1937.

Back to the top

Tour 6

The Ritz Theater & Museum

Address: 829 N. Davis Street

Map It

The Ritz Theater & MuseumProminently located at the corner of West State Street and North Davis Street, the Ritz Theatre operated for nearly 30 years as a movie house catering to the African American community.

Constructed in 1929 from plans by Jacksonville architect, Jefferson D. Powell, the theatre had a unique and delightful design that incorporated elements of the Egyptian Revival, Mediterranean Revival, and Art Deco styles.

The richly-detailed corner entryway was incorporated in the design of the current Ritz Theatre.





Back to the top

Tour 7

Hemming Plaza

Address: 135 Monroe St W Jacksonville, FL 32202

Map It

Hemming PlazaAx Handle Saturday • August 27, 1960

Racial unrest began to grow in the late 1950s and early 1960s throughout the South in reaction to the extremely slow progress being made in addressing segregation of public facilities, schools and businesses.

In addition, anger was also directed at the continued lack of economic equality. The use of non-violent demonstrations and sit-ins many times resulted in a violent response by those in support of maintaining the status quo. In Jacksonville, civil rights demonstrations were first organized and initiated by members of the Youth Council of the Jacksonville branch of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAAC P) under the direction of local social studies teacher, Rutledge Pearson. After numerous sit-ins at the lunch counter of several downtown department stores, members of the Youth Council were brutally attacked by segregationists armed with axe handles and baseball bats. This event, which occurred on August 27, 1960, is known as “Ax Handle Saturday.” The notoriety of “Ax Handle Saturday,” and later demonstrations in 1964, did much to end segregation and improve race relations in Jacksonville.

Back to the top

Tour 8

Bethel Baptist Institutional Church

1058 Bethel Baptist Way

Map It

Bethel Baptist Institutional Church Established 1838

Bethel Baptist Institutional Church dates back to 1838 as the first organized Baptist church in Jacksonville. During this early period, the congregation of Bethel Baptist Church included both white and black members. After the Civil War, white members went to court in an attempt to dispossess the black members. The court ruled in favor of the black members that resulted in a settlement in which the black members retained the name Bethel Baptist Church, as well as received a cash settlement.

Completed in 1904, from a design by New York architect M. H. Hubbard, the sanctuary built after the Great Fire of 1901 is dominated by an ornate bell tower and octagonal steeple that defines the main entry behind which is a central mansard roof with detailed cupola. Bethel Baptist was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on April 6, 1978, and was designated a local landmark on March 11, 1997.

Back to the top

Tour 9

Mount Zion A.M.E. Church

Address: 201 E. Beaver St.

Map It

Mount Zion A.M.E. ChurchEstablished in 1866, Mount Zion A.M.E. at 201 East Beaver St., was organized by a group of Christians known as the “Society,” which was comprised of Freedmen that settled in Jacksonville immediately after the end of the Civil War. This stunning red brick edifice sits at the intersection of East Beaver and Newnan Streets. The present structure (pictured) is the sixth built after the previous 1,500-seat church was destroyed by the Great Fire of 1901. Constructed of brick upon a stone foundation, the Romanesque Revival style church features arched windows and door openings, art-glass windows, and a prominent bell tower.

Mount Zion A.M.E. was added to the National Register of Historic Places on December 30, 1992 and designated a local landmark on May 10, 1994.

Back to the top

Tour 10

Mother Midway A.M.E. Church

Address: 1456 Van Buren Street

Map It

Mother Midway A.M.E. ChurchEstablished in 1865

During and immediately after the Civil War, many African American churches were formed in Florida which were usually independent community-based congregations organized by a lay minister. The first formal religious organization established by Freedmen under the umbrella of a national denomination was in June of 1865 when ex-slave, William G. Stewart, was appointed as pastor of Florida by the South Carolina Conference of the African Methodist Episcopal Church. The day after arriving in Jacksonville on June 9, 1865, Reverend Steward met with a group from a small settlement east of Jacksonville known as Midway to organize the first AME Church in Florida.

Still located in East Jacksonville, the Mother Midway A.M.E. Church is recognized as the “mother” of both the Florida Conference of the A.M.E. Church organized in 1867 and the East Florida Conference established in 1877.

Back to the top

Tour 11

Mount Olive AME Church

Address: 841 Franklin Street

Map It

Mount Olive AME Church
Established in 1887

Pioneer African-American builder and designer Richard L. Brown resided and worked in Oakland and Campbell’s Addition of East Jacksonville. In addition to serving two consecutive terms in the Florida House of Representatives, Brown also purchased land in Campbell’s Addition, later deeding part of it to the Duval County School Board for the construction of an elementary school that was named in his honor.

Employed by the school board during the early part of the 20th century, Brown was probably responsible for the design and construction of some of the city’s early school facilities. In addition to the construction of Centennial Hall at Edward Waters College in 1916, one of his most significant projects was the design and construction of Mount Olive A.M.E. Church at 841 Franklin St. in Oakland in 1922.

Back to the top

Tour 12

Edward Waters College

Address: 1658 Kings Road

Map It

Edward Waters CollegeEdward Waters College is recognized as the oldest of four colleges formed during Reconstruction to provide needed educational opportunities and teacher training for Florida’s African American citizens recently emancipated from slavery.

In addition, Edward Waters College, along with Florida Memorial College and Bethune-Cookman College, reflected the leadership of church and church organizations that played significant roles in creating and supporting higher educational opportunities for African-Americans in Florida. Although originating in the late

1860’s under different names and locations, Edward Waters College acquired its current name in 1891. At that time located in a school building owned by Mount Zion A.M.E. Church in Downtown Jacksonville, the trustees of the college purchased the first parcels of the current site along Kings Road in 1904 with its first building, Salter Hall, built in 1908.

Back to the top

Tour 13

Old City Cemetery

Address: East Union Street and Cemetery Street

Map It

Old City CemeteryEstablished in 1852

The Old City Cemetery is located immediately northeast of Downtown Jacksonville in the Oakland neighborhood. The cemetery property was donated by Captain Charles and Frances Willey in 1852 to the Town of Jacksonville. Originally a four acre square, the cemetery was expanded in 1869 by another two acres to the north to accommodate primarily African -American burials.

Before the opening of Evergreen Cemetery in 1881 and Memorial Cemetery in 1911, this part of Old City Cemetery, known as the Duval Colored Cemetery or the “Freedmen’s Cemetery”, came to be the burial ground of choice for many of Jacksonville’s prominent African-American families. Dispersed throughout this part of the cemetery are the graves of 50 African American veterans, commonly referred to as Buffalo Soldiers, including several that served in the Union army.

Back to the top

Tour 14

Amelia Island

Amelia Island: (American Beach)

Map It

Amelia IslandAmerican Beach is located on Amelia Island, located between two upscale resorts -- the Ritz-Carlton Amelia Island and Amelia Island Plantation. Founded in 1935 by Abraham Lincoln Lewis, American Beach was created as a vacation haven for African-Americans, for whom access to other resorts was denied in the days before desegregation. In the early 1930s, A.L. Lewis, Florida's first black millionaire and president of Florida's first insurance company, the Afro-American Insurance Company in Jacksonville, bought 200 acres of prime Florida beachfront so his employees could enjoy the Florida shore.

In the 1930s, 1940s and 1950s, American Beach was the place to be for fun and entertainment. African-American families were given the opportunity each weekend to commute for a day at the beach on Amelia Island, or to own property there for full time residence or a weekend getaway. It was a place where the insurance company's workers could escape the pace of work and where their families and friends could enjoy the beach free from the stress associated with segregation.

Evans' Rendezvous nightclub was an important anchor of the community, welcoming notable artists such as Ray Charles, Cab Calloway and Louis Armstrong. Hurricane Dora in 1964 marked the beginning of the end of the beach's prime when many homes and businesses were destroyed. Shortly following the hurricane, America saw an end to segregation, which made it unnecessary for African-Americans to travel to Amelia Island. American Beach is experiencing resurgence as more and more people are realizing the importance of preserving this historic community. It is now home to a variety of people, from federal judges and corporate executives to custodians, and is truly a representation of the American dream. Today, only 120 of the original 200 acres remains untouched by developers. In January 2002, American Beach was placed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Source: American Beach Property owners Association, www.historicamericanbeach.com

Learn about St. Augustine Complete African-American history from Augustine.com here: www.augustine.com/history/black_history/downloads/blackHistoryBrochure.pdf

Back to the top

Tour 15

St. Augustine

St. Augustine

Map It

St. AugustineLincolnville, St. Augustine. St. Augustine's historic African-American district, originally named "Africa," boasts the city's largest concentration of Victorian homes. Here Martin Luther King stayed while supporting local civil rights movements. It was also home to the man who taught Ray Charles, a student at the local school for the deaf and blind, to read music in Braille.

www.staugustine-450.com/journey/

Fort Mose Fort Mose is the site of the first free African settlement in what is now the United States. Founded in 1738, it is one of the original sites on the southern route of the Underground Railroad. The primary mission of the Fort Mose Historical Society is to support the Florida Park Service in its efforts to preserve, protect and interpret this remarkable site and to interpret the significance of the Fort Mose community for present and future generations. Since its inception, the Fort Mose Historical Society has been instrumental in the development and implementation of a number of work projects, events, outreach programs, educational activities, interpretive programs, and fundraising events supporting the organization’s mission statement. Currently in its 16th year, the Fort Mose Historical Society is dedicated to assuring that the Fort Mose site and the story of its African inhabitants are seamlessly woven into the tapestry of American history. www.fortmose.org

The Underground Railroad also ran south to Florida, as well as north.

Back to the top

Tour 16

Mandarin School House

Address: 11964 Mandarin Road, Jacksonville, FL 3222

Map It

ONE-ROOM SCHOOLHOUSE IN DUVAL COUNTY WAS SAVED IN 2015 - HISTORY OF THE SCHOOLHOUSE

www.mandarinmuseum.net

The building was built for the Sisters of St. Joseph in 1898 and was used at the educational complex where St. Joseph Catholic Church stands on Loretto Rd.

In 1866, Bishop Augustin Verot, went to his hometown, LePuy, France and recruited 8 women from the congregation of the Sisters of St. Joseph, whose foundation was in LePuy. In his appeal to them he said, “It is my wish that you understand clearly and perfectly, that it is for the care of the Negroes, and for them only, that I am seeking Sisters of your order for my Diocese.” Bishop Verot was first appointed as Bishop of Florida (1858) and later served as Bishop of Savannah (1861) and then Bishop of St. Augustine (1870). He is buried in Tolomato Cemetery in St. Augustine.

The eight Sisters who were selected and took the call boarded a ship and left France on August 2, 1866. They made their way to St. Augustine where they lived, learned English and started teaching in St. Augustine. Eventually they were teaching in St. Augustine, Mandarin, Palatka, Fernandina and Savannah and their order grew in America.

Two Sisters were assigned to Mandarin in 1868, but fell ill and left within a few months – they came back in 1873. They taught black and white children, but not at the same time – in a wooden building that was also used as a sanctuary. Sister Julie Roussel served in Mandarin several times. Sister Julie wrote in her letters in 1868: that there were 27 black children and 51 white. Her remarks on their behavior at the Mandarin school was “What satisfaction these poor children bring us, the blacks as much as the whites! How well behaved they are! We had seen those in St. Augustine to be so troublesome in the beginning that we expected to find those here quite uncontrollable, and on the contrary, I have never seen more quiet children, more obedient, and more desirous of learning; it is truly a pleasure to teach them.” Sister Julie is buried in St. Joseph’s Cemetery, Mandarin. Her stone says “Mother Julia” and is a large cross, but is with many small white crosses of other Sisters (on right side of cemetery, along the path).

The Mandarin Museum and Historical Society partnered with Councilman Matt Schellenberg, the Mandarin Community Club and the City of Jacksonville Parks and Recreation Department to save the last remaining one-room schoolhouse in Duval County and relocate it to Walter Jones Historical Park in Mandarin. The schoolhouse was built in 1898 as part of a mission established by the Sisters of St. Joseph in Mandarin to educate freed Blacks after the Civil War. The building was originally located on the property of the present day St. Joseph’s Catholic Church.

Open Saturdays, 9am-4pm and for scheduled tours

Back to the top

Tour 17

Durkeeville Museum

Address: 1293 W. 19th St., Jacksonville, FL 32209

Map It

www.durkeevillehistoricalsociety.org

The museum collects and promotes the history of Durkeeville, a historically African American neighborhood in Jacksonville, Florida. The rich African-American history of Jacksonville is showcased across the museum. Collections include artifacts, pictures, videos, and an expanding catalog of oral histories collected from area residents. Additionally, there are exhibits at the historic J. P. Small Park, which was home to the Jacksonville Red Caps of the Negro Baseball Leagues. Durkeeville residents were artists, musicians, literary figures, humanitarians, diplomats, socialites, and politicians. Come and see their stories!

Admission is available by appointment, please call in advance.

Back to the top

Tour 18

Old Stanton High School

Address: 521 W. Broad St. (PRIVATE), Jacksonville, FL 32202

Map It

The Trustees of Florida Institute established Stanton High School in 1868 as the first public black school in Jacksonville. It was named for Edwin M. Stanton, an outspoken abolitionist and Secretary of War under Abraham Lincoln. This masonry vernacular style structure, completed in 1917, was the only black high school in the country at the time. James Weldon Johnson, the first African American to pass the Florida bar exam, and the lyricist of Lift Ev'ry Voice and Sing, "the black national anthem," was a student at Stanton High and served as principal from 1894 to 1902. Closed as a public school in 1971, the building now houses the private school, "Academy of Excellence."

Back to the top

Tour 19

Lift E’ry Voice and Sing Park

Address: Intersection of Houston & Lee Streets 32202

Map It

“Lift Ev’ry Voice and Sing” Park is located at the intersection of Houston and Lee Streets. This is the birthsite of James Weldon Johnson, who wrote, with his brother John Rosamond Johnson, “Lift Ev’ry Voice and Sing” in the late 1800s, which the NAACP calls the “Black National Anthem.”

The Durkeeville Historical Society donated three historical markers for the dedication to honor each of the brothers and one for the song. Plans to further develop the site are in the planning stages.

Back to the top

Tour 20

Clara’s at the Cathedral

St. John’s Cathedral
Address: 256 E. Church St. Jacksonville, FL 32202

www.theclarawhitemission.org/explore/programs/claras-at-the-cathedral

**Friday’s Only**
11:00 am – 1:30 pm
Buffet Cost: $10
Take Out Available: $10

A training café featuring an upscale menu, “Clara’s at the Cathedral” is an outgrowth of Clara White’s Culinary Arts Program, providing students with extensive hands-on training in production, presentation and front of the house restaurant service. Operated through a collaboration with St. John’s Cathedral Church, since March, 2007. The Café offers a relaxed dining experience within the Cathedral’s historic Taliaferro Hall, located in downtown Jacksonville at the corner of Duval and Market Street.

Clara’s at the Cathedral is open to the public each Friday from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. Located at St. John’s Cathedral Church, 256 E. Church St. To make a reservation for parties of 6 or more, Click Here. All proceeds directly benefit the Clara White Culinary Training Program.

Servicing lunch every Friday from 11:00 am- 1:30 pm

Back to the top

Timeline

Multicultural Historical Timeline

Before the establishment of the United States, people of African descent had been shaping the history of Florida. From the Age of Exploration and European colonization; through slavery and the Civil War; to Reconstruction, Jim Crow and the Civil Rights Movement; free Africans, Africans held in captivity and their descendants have been Lifting Ev’ry Voice to make major contributions to the building of this city, region, state and the nation.

Northeast Florida’s rich cultural history shows influences from European, African and Native American cultures. It is this rich diversity that defines the region today.


The 1500's
1513
1562
1564
1565
The 1600's
1683
1693
The 1700's
1738
1796
The 1800's
1801
1817
1821
1822
1838
1855
1861
1864
1865
1865
1866
1868
1869
1870
1871
1874
1875
1881
1882
1885
1886
1887
1889
1892
1893
1894
1895
1896
1898
1817
The 1900's
1901
1902
1906
1907
1909
1912
1915
1916
1917
1921
1922
1924
1926
1927
1928
1929
1935
1936
1937
1939
1941
1942
1946
1954
1960
1964
1967
1968
1976
1991
1995
The 2000's
2011

Back to the top

Florida's African American Heritage Trail.

Special thanks to Former Senator Anthony C. “Tony” Hill, Sr., State Representative Mia Jones and Office of the Mayor Executive Assistant Daphne Colbert for the inspiration for this booklet and for your guidance and support throughout this project.

  • Visit Jacksonville
  • City of Jacksonville
  • State of Florida